motto lotto

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I love not Man the less, but Nature more.

La Playa en Puerto Vallarta

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.

Roll on, thou deep and dark blue Ocean - roll!
Ten thousand fleets sweep over thee in vain;
Man marks the earth with ruin - his control
Stops with the shore; - upon the watery plain
The wrecks are all thy deed, nor doth remain
A shadow of man’s ravage, save his own,
When for a moment, like a drop of rain,
He sinks into thy depths with bubbling groan,
Without a grave, unknelled, uncoffined, and unknown.

Lord Byron - from Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

4 comments:

Mike said...

If only man's control truly stopped at the shore. But the universe is a larger sea and the expanse of time assures us unmarked graves.

Anonymous said...

Here I am posting this, using the very tech I seem to descry. All I want to say is that we of the older among us will sink into the depths..."Unfacebooked, untwittererd, untweeted and unknown."

Anonymous said...

It makes me cry... time and time again.

Bartolomeu Santos said...

can somebody help me with the interpretation of this Lord Byron's poem?
My mother-tongue is not English, that's why I could use a little help here.
Thanks!