motto lotto

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reading, 2009

books - Source: wikimedia commons
I thought I read a lot of books this year until I read Robert Archambeau's list. Better than what I read this past year (which you probably already know too much about if you read this blog) is what I want to read next year. If you are reading any of these as well that may guide my reading.
  • The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
  • Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
  • Anathem - Neil Stephenson (I'm still in the first hundred pages.)
  • Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce (started but failed to finish both of these in 2008)
  • more by Camus, probably at least The Fall and The Stranger
  • Demons and The Idiot by Dostoevsky (Camus inspired me to re-read these, still trying to get a handle on those crazy Russians)
  • Nietzsche - Karl Jaspers (Still in the first hundred pages of this as well.)
  • I and Thou - Martin Buber
  • Cycles of Conquest - Spicer
  • Huenemann's book on rationalism
  • The Golden Sayings of Epictetus
  • The Federalist Papers
  • correspondence between Adams and Jefferson
  • lots of poetry - I'm open to suggestions.
  • more essays by Orwell, Montaigne and Emerson
  • something by
    • Max Stirner
    • Stendhal
    • David Foster Wallace
    • Epicurus
    • Rousseau
    • Jung
    • Jorge Luis Borges

4 comments:

brighteyesx said...

there are a few that i insist that you read


FIRST AND FOREMOST.

"the alchemist" by paulo coelho

as for poetry:

charles baudelaire: my favorite poet EVER; my favorite of his collections is called "twenty prose poems" and i insist that you read it

lawrence ferlinghetti: any! but the collection "a coney island of the mind" is one of my favorites

c.k. williams: collection entitled "repair", a very very very beautiful collection

Oliver said...

Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma blew me off my socks. I strongly recommend it. Unbelievable how modern it reads, for an early 19th century novel.

Mike said...

Thank you much for the suggestions. I'll check out "the alchemist" and make The Charterhouse of Parma the first thing I read by Stendhal.

And now I have some direction in regard to poetry.

Mike said...

Catcher in the Rye

What he said by omission in the text is pretty interesting. I think I would have liked it better when I younger; it was somewhat untimely for me.

Breakfast of Champions

I would have read this book sooner but I watched the movie before I was into Vonnegut and it put me off of the book for a while. I like a number of the quotes by Kilgore Trout and it's nice to see Vonnegut walk into the book and "bring chaos to order".

By Camus I read The Stranger and I'm about halfway into The Plague. The Rebel still has me thinking.

I picked up Stendhal's Love for a dollar today so maybe I'll start into that soon.

I'm planning to start back into Anathem soon and I started into David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest but it hasn't really grabbed me. Luckily I found a cheap copy so I'll get through it over time. It's pretty popular at the library right now so renewals are out of the question and it's dense and not in a way that's attractive enough for me to read quickly.