motto lotto

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

more depressing news on the torture front

The report says that the F.B.I. agents took their concerns to higher-ups, but that their concerns often fell on deaf ears: officials at senior levels at the F.B.I., the Justice Department, the Defense Department and the National Security Council were all made aware of the F.B.I. agents’ complaints, but little appears to have been done as a result.

The report quotes passionate objections from F.B.I. officials who grew increasingly concerned about the reports of practices like intimidating inmates with snarling dogs, parading them in the nude before female soldiers, or “short-shackling” them to the floor for many hours in extreme heat or cold.

Such tactics, said one F.B.I. agent in an e-mail message to supervisors in November 2002, might violate American law banning torture.

More senior officials, including Spike Bowman, who was then the head of the national security law unit at the F.B.I., tried to sound the alarm as well.

“Beyond any doubt, what they are doing (and I don’t know the extent of it) would be unlawful were these enemy prisoners of war,” Mr. Bowman wrote in an e-mail message to top F.B.I. officials in July 2003.

Report Details Dissent on Guantánamo Tactics
(nytimes.com)

James Yee on Radio West - I heard James Yee speak in Salt Lake City not long ago but I can't seem to find the recording on-line. This is the closest thing I can find. Terrible website (takes a few seconds to load) but seems to have audio of James Yee being interviewed on Radio West (prior to the event I attended). It's worth listening to.

A few weeks later the UofU law school brought Col. Morris Davis to speak for a conference oriented around the 40th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s death. It looks like the video is available for that whole conference here.

Col. Morris Davis (wikipedia)

Another related article today --
A handful of US lawmakers gave only half an ear to the testimony on Tuesday of a former detainee at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba who spent nearly five years in prison before being released without charge.
From Ex-Guantanamo inmate finds distracted audience at US Congress (news.yahoo.com)

There is just so much of this kind of news it's not even important enough for congress to pay attention to anymore?