motto lotto

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LDS revaluation

"Elders" who are children.
LDS missionaries (not the ones I met today)
As I walked out of my house this afternoon to read a few philosophy essays at the coffee shop, I ran into a couple LDS missionaries. I stopped and talked to them for a few minutes. One of them was from Canada and the other from Wisconsin (I think). I was struck by just how young these missionaries really are (usually 19-21*) as I spoke with them. I mentioned what I was studying and that I like to study religion but that I just really don't want to join any clubs.

I'm not really a club person.

They assured me it wasn't really a club but I couldn't be convinced. As I walked away they said, "well, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us". I said "Thanks, if you have any questions feel free to contact me, I may have done the relevant study."

3 comments:

Chris said...

The sheer arrogance of missionaries is appalling. They send 19 year old boys around to tell people (in foreign tongue nonetheless) that they, at 19, have the answers to the universe.

John said...

Speaking of this, did you read the most recent edition of City Weekly? After all of the "Support Our Troops" rhetoric and generally nationalist sentiment in Utah, Utah is 49th in per capita enlistment. And, it makes sense, most everyone in that age group is on a mission.

Mike said...

Like most groups it's better to figure out what they really think based on how they act than what they claim to believe (and even usually better than trying to figure it out based on what they think they believe).

What's most offensive about having the answers to the universe when you're 19 is not knowing that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.