motto lotto

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

reversals

Let that which stood in front go behind,
Let that which was behind advance to the front,
Let bigots, fools, unclean persons, offer new propositions,
Let the old propositions be postponed,
Let a man seek pleasure everywhere except in himself,
Let a woman seek happiness everywhere except in herself.

Walt Whitman
--
And Jesus said, "For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind."

Those of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these things and said to Him, "We are not blind too, are we?"

Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."

John 9:39-41 NASB
--
Well, although I do not suppose that either of us knows anything really beautiful and good, I am better off than he is,-- for he knows nothing, and thinks that he knows; I neither know nor think that I know.

Socrates (Plato's Apology - Jowett)

I once could see but now I'm blind. I was found but now I'm lost.

When I was a child, I used to speak like adults, think like adults, reason like adults. As a man I seek anew the voice of the child.*