motto lotto

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dumbo's surprising responsibility

7/2/2007

It's not a genuine choice unless it's presented by our context. If I believe in a flying Elephant that's in charge of the rotation of Pluto, it isn't a personal (genuine?) belief for me. I could hold that belief or try to hold that belief if that's what I mean by "choose" a belief but what would that mean, what would it look like in life? (e.g. is it just a thought or something that comes up in passing conversation or does the belief actually demand something substantial?)

5/31/2009

RE: 7/2/2007 (Which still seems unclear.)

marketing and the genuine choice

A lot of marketing attempts to create a need and then meet it. Christianity is often presented in this way.

questionable questions

Some philosophical problems are artificial. When I work on unearthing prejudices I ask myself, "am I working on an area that's adequately personal? Does this question really matter?"

2 comments:

SteveM said...

"A lot of marketing attempts to create a need and then meet it. Christianity is often presented in this way."

Any examples you had in mind?

Mike said...

The God shaped hole comes to mind but there's also sin nature.